Author Topic: Give noobies a chance!  (Read 6147 times)

HowardUK

• Villager
    • View Profile
Give noobies a chance!
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:18:43 pm »
Hi there:)

I am fairly new but I really enjoy the game. However I have noticed a number of first time players levels 1-10+ complaining about being pked by levels 100+ higher not long after they log in for the first time. For sure there are high level players who will try to help them in chat and attempt to deal with the bullies.

I suggest that for the first 15 or 20 levels, all new players should be immune from being pked! At least that way they can then get to know something about the game first.

What point is there getting new players from Steam etc, and then losing them early on because of someone mindlessly pking them before they even know what the game is about!

Best wishes,

Howie:)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:20:23 pm by HowardUK »

Steve

• Administrator
  • Lord of Atulos
    • View Profile
Re: Give noobies a chance!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:20:29 pm »
Hi there:)

I am fairly new but I really enjoy the game. However I have noticed a number of first time players levels 1-10+ complaining about being pked by levels 100+ higher not long after they log in for the first time. For sure there are high level players who will try to help them in chat and attempt to deal with the bullies.

I suggest that for the first 15 or 20 levels, all new players should be immune from being pked! At least that way they can then get to know something about the game first.

What point is there getting new players from Steam etc, and then losing them early on because of someone mindlessly pking them before they even know what the game is about!

Best wishes,

Howie:)
I agree. There is a PK threshold at the moment, but it is quite low and I will look at raising it to about level 15.

Camm

• Global Moderator
  • Lord of Atulos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 02:51:25 am »
Also a player can't get PKed at the moment until they have the 1st amulet.

Aerith

• Lord of Atulos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 07:33:33 am »
May I suggest to make the most important areas PK-safe as it once was? I am thinking about Forest, Merc, and the Areas 1- 7. Further, I am again asking for a training place where everyone is scaled to lv 10 (or whatever lv).

Kindest Regards

Aerith
There won't be a future unless you leave the past behind.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Lord of Atulos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 08:18:10 am »
May I suggest to make the most important areas PK-safe as it once was? I am thinking about Forest, Merc, and the Areas 1- 7. Further, I am again asking for a training place where everyone is scaled to lv 10 (or whatever lv).

Kindest Regards

Aerith
To be honest, I'm struggling to see the role of the PK ability in the game at all, except in the Arena and perhaps, like you said, a training area. It does encourage griefers. On the other hand, I'm wondering how boring the game would be if you can't PK a buddy once in a while just for laughs. I remember the Forest being a fun place where players could PK each other for laughs and there wasn't a huge problem with PK-ing n00bs. As it is, there's a single-player element to this MMORPG and the more PK-ing is restricted, the less it seems like an MMORPG. Taken to the extreme, repealing PK almost everywhere would make this just a single player game in which you can see what other players are doing and chat with them. If anything, I want to move further in the direction of multiplayer, which will involve server-side NPCs that everyone sees in the same place at the same time. And perhaps once that's in place, I could remove the auto-combat feature and then look at removing PK in most areas as a way to protect against friendly fire when ganging up on NPCs.

I'm just thinking as I type at the moment.

Steve

• Administrator
  • Lord of Atulos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:20:55 am »
In fact, now that I think about it, I think server-side NPCs would be a great way to revitalize this game, a lot more than just adding more areas. And there are some great benefits, such as being able to add new quests (in many cases) without players having to download a fresh Steam update.

Pheckit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 09:15:32 pm »
I'm having a lot of fun playing this game (since Steam launch) but I would absolutely love more multiplayer aspects outside of the arena. Coming from other older mmorpgs (mainly NexusTK) it's something I do miss in Atulos.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to supporting your development efforts in future DLCs.  :)

DesertSage

• Villager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 12:51:31 am »
We cannot be everywhere watching over all of the new folks. We do our best to make PKers pay for attacking any new player. Make sure you know who attacked you, don't just start yelling for help when we don't know where you are! It also takes time to travel across the game. It would help if the forest was a safe area, many PKers use it for an attack area.

HowardUK

• Villager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 06:50:37 pm »
We cannot be everywhere watching over all of the new folks. We do our best to make PKers pay for attacking any new player. Make sure you know who attacked you, don't just start yelling for help when we don't know where you are! It also takes time to travel across the game. It would help if the forest was a safe area, many PKers use it for an attack area.

I totally agree about the forest being a safe area:)

One other option would be for all players to have the option (apart from the arena), whether to participate in pvp or not. Not everyone wants or likes pvp.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:58:28 pm by HowardUK »

Mad

• Lord of Atulos
    • View Profile
    • My pro website
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 05:11:38 pm »
[...] I am again asking for a training place where everyone is scaled to lv 10 (or whatever lv). [...]

+1
This would definitely be a good thing, Holy Gods of Arphax please listen to this!
Don't believe the hype

Richy

• Mercenary
  • Inner Demons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 06:37:46 pm »
barbie.com offers free from PK gaming... Just sayin. We don't grind our butts off to not be able to PK as when our predecessors beat our ass which gave us the motivation to level up for revenge. :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:39:41 pm by Richy »
Wut?